Archive for December, 2009

28
Dec
09

Erroneous “Device in Use” dialog when you attempt to play an audio file in Windows

Tonight, after using Adobe Audition and my Focusrite Saffire Pro audio interface, I encountered a problem where I couldn’t play any Windows system audio after I finished with the session. Windows continued to give me a Device in Use dialog box even after a cold boot of the workstation and a reboot of the audio interface. It turns out that the culprit was a setting in the Properties for the output device, under the Advanced tab. In the default format pulldown, it listed 16 bit 48000 Hz as the default format. As soon as I switched it back to 16 bit, 44100 Hz the system audio started working again. I’m just blogging this for my own benefit because it took me forever to figure out what was wrong. Next time this happens, I probably won’t remember that it happened before, but I’ll find my own blog on Google. Seriously, I’ve done it before.

15
Dec
09

Update on Qwest issue with HD streams via Xbox/Netflix

I had written previously about an issue I was having where I could not view HD movies through Netflix on the Xbox. Any time I initiated an HD stream, the internet in my whole house would disconnect. I did a bit of troubleshooting, and some Googling and found that it was most likely a Qwest issue with the router.  I contacted Qwest after being prompted to do so by one of their customer service people who crawls the internet looking for disgruntled customers. Within 24 hours I was contacted by a live person on the phone. A few days, and a few speed tests later I had a new modem and the HD stream problem was fixed.

I had also been having another annoying problem where my bandwidth was nowhere near the capacity that I was paying for. Nearly dial-up on a 7Mbps connection. This issue was not resolved by the new router. Again, I contacted Qwest and had a live technician on the phone the next morning. He ran some tests on his end and found that there was a problem at the central office that was sending a ton of errors down to my modem so that it was unable to sync at the appropriate speed. He moved me to a different switch and the problem is now solved.

I just wanted to post an update because I did a fair amount of bitching about Qwest in my initial blog post, and Qwest support really did a great job of handling my issues and winning back my loyalty as a customer. I work in the support field, so I know that providing this level of support is a lot easier said than done. And Qwest, if you’re still paying attention, don’t offshore your support. You’ve got great staff and they deserve to keep their jobs.