28
Dec
09

Erroneous “Device in Use” dialog when you attempt to play an audio file in Windows

Tonight, after using Adobe Audition and my Focusrite Saffire Pro audio interface, I encountered a problem where I couldn’t play any Windows system audio after I finished with the session. Windows continued to give me a Device in Use dialog box even after a cold boot of the workstation and a reboot of the audio interface. It turns out that the culprit was a setting in the Properties for the output device, under the Advanced tab. In the default format pulldown, it listed 16 bit 48000 Hz as the default format. As soon as I switched it back to 16 bit, 44100 Hz the system audio started working again. I’m just blogging this for my own benefit because it took me forever to figure out what was wrong. Next time this happens, I probably won’t remember that it happened before, but I’ll find my own blog on Google. Seriously, I’ve done it before.

Advertisements

1 Response to “Erroneous “Device in Use” dialog when you attempt to play an audio file in Windows”


  1. 1 Torkel
    March 19, 2010 at 3:22 pm

    Thanks for posting this man, I ran in to the same trouble and this post saved me!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: